Monday, September 21, 2015

Elvis Impersonators Are Less Than Human

        Let me explain...often, (even though I shouldn't)  I get into political discussions and they very often lead to somebody insulting me, because of what I do.  I may have insulted a few back I cannot be too sure.   However quite a few times, I have been dismissed by someone with something like..."Oh well you're just an Elvis Impersonator why am I even arguing with you"    Now wait a minute, did you just say that by virtue of what I do to make a living, I am not worthy of arguing with you? Can you imagine saying   "Oh well you're just a teacher...why should I argue with you?"  Or "oh you're just a Mechanic or A Democrat, Or a White Boy or anything else, would that be acceptable?   But man, to be completely negated or rather stripped of my ability to reason because I impersonate Elvis?
Or worse, that what I do makes me some sort of freak, existing outside the norm rendering me unworthy of carrying out rational discourse? In short basically I am like an Ape or lower primate capable of banging two cymbals together for your entertainment but not worthy of discussion on any loftier issues than bananas ?            Yes I am all too aware that there are weird and crazy and terrible Elvis impersonators out there and they give a bad name to all of us. Also there are many weird, crazy, and terrible Elvis fans out there who give the whole business a strange vibe that can be a bit bizarre, and make many of us sort of normal folks afraid to say we are Elvis fans.  So when the arguing gets heated, I think Elvis Impersonators are considered lower that anyone, I mean seldom do you actually see written a complete dismissal of someone just based on their job? do you? Am I a freak because I perform as Elvis? These are things that I grapple with daily.
        Note: I don't write these to hear how great I am, (thank you though and I love you too)  and keep up the good work or whatever...I write because this has bothered me and not just about myself, but at what point does a person become 
Not Worth Arguing with? And is it because of what they do for a living?







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home